Sporting Schools, a pathway to LaunchPad
What is Sporting Schools?
Sporting Schools is an Australian Government and Australian Sports Commission (ASC) initiative which will fund sporting activities before, during and after-school in more than 5,700 schools and engage with 850,000 children hoping to encourage them to do more sport-based activities. Sporting Schools will start in Term 3 2015 and is an evolution of the Active After-School Communities (AASC) program. Sporting Schools is a new addition and separate to any programs that are normally being delivered to school groups.
A key feature of Sporting School is the use of National Sporting Organisation (NSO) endorsed sporting programs. LaunchPad is the Gymnastics Australia (GA) junior participation program which aims to increase sport participation, develop children’s fundamental movement skills and all-round physical and brain development, and will be delivered under Sporting Schools.
We anticipate LaunchPad will provide a greater connection for Australian children with gymnastics and one that we hope will provide a lifelong love of our sport. To ensure your club or provider business is prepared to take full opportunity of Sporting Schools it is encouraged that you are LaunchPad accredited.
Why should I be involved in Sporting Schools?
This is a great opportunity to:
- Expose gymnastics to more kids in more schools;
- Link with local schools and community;
- Deliver programs before, during or after school;
- Access grants funding to support delivery, e.g. funding to transport school groups to club;
- Increase membership base;
- Further employment for coaches;
- Market club gymnastics sessions;
- Market other club activities, e.g. Birthday Parties, School Holiday programs etc.; and
- Club promotion.
How do I get involved?
Clubs, providers and coaches that are endorsed by Gymnastics Australia will only be allowed to deliver under Sporting Schools. To get endorsed, you must meet the minimum standards set by the ASC and GA and then register on the Sporting Schools website.
Summary of Minimum Requirements
Clubs & Providers
- Will need to be affiliated with Gymnastics TAS and GA; and
- Will need to be LaunchPad accredited (or working towards LaunchPad accreditation).
- Will need to hold a current Intermediate coaching accreditation (any gymsport*);
- Beginner coaches can be utilised under the supervision of the Intermediate Coach
- Will need to hold a current Technical Membership with GA; and
- Will have to hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Clubs and providers will need Public Liability Insurance and Professional Indemnity Insurance (minimum $10 million each) cover for all coaches represented.
To find out more about the minimum requirements please refer to the Club and Provider's Guide to Sporting School.
How Do I Register?
Clubs, providers and afterwards ALL their coaches who will deliver programs will have to register their details on the Sporting Schools website. After registering, those details will be placed on the Sporting Schools online web portal, which is where schools will go when they are looking to contact coaches to deliver gymnastics.
Registration is a complicated process and has several steps. If you haven’t registered yet, please do so as soon as possible not to miss out schools contacting you. Alternatively, for those who have registered, please make sure you have completed the entire process as there are many steps that need to be completed.
Clubs & Providers
Please refer to the Club and Provider's Guide to Sporting Schools for step by step instructions on how to register.
Once clubs and school providers have registered, every coach that will deliver gymnastics under Sporting Schools will need to register themselves and link their profile to your club or school provider.
Please refer to the Coach's Registration Guide for step by steo instructions on how to register and link your profiles.
What Can I Deliver?
- LaunchPad Gymnastics Program;
- Minimum of 4 sessions per child;
- Duration 45-60 minutes per class (either before, during or after-school);
- Schools to receive a 'Gymnastics Kit' containing Lesson Plans, online access to the Lesson Plan Builder and poster; and
- Students to receive a promotional flyer and a gift.
If schools would like more than 4 sessions delivered, they will need to ensure they have funding to support a subsequent 4 session block for either the same children, or new ones. If not, they can look to pay for more sessions outside of government funding.
What Can I Charge?
Like under AASC, there will be limits to how much clubs and providers can charge schools. GA have created a Sporting Schools pricing model for terms 3 and 4 2015 which clubs and providers are to use.
This funding model is only relevant to the Sporting Schools gymnastics program and different to any programs that are currently being delivered to school groups. If you are already delivering in schools, we encourage you to continue to deliver gymnastics programs at your chosen price-point.
If you would like further information or any assistance with Sporting Schools, please contact Jo Penny Sport Development Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0457 026 427.